Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Be Cause.

My brother and I had an amazing discussion the other afternoon, as we always do. In the midst of our chatter, he said as beings it is important for us to be cause. Stop "blaming" others be they people, deities and or luck for the good and bad in one's life and start being cause. Be cause. Be the cause of that which you manifest. Or, more commonly, be the change you want to see. In my "light skin, dark skin" video I challenged myself to address and acknowledge how I benefit from a privilege that has been invisible to me my entire life. In acknowledging it publically,  I can no longer stand by when I see my darker friends suffering from what I benefit from. I challenged others to speak on this issue as well. I took a risk, knowing that some of my darker viewers who have been treated ill for this subject may lash out. I had a handful of persons try to set me straight and accuse me of and easier plight. Obviously, my words caused some anger to arise. But I also had more people speak up about how they too benefit and or how as a light skin person, colorism has caused difficulty in their own life, albeit a less acknowledged one. Three women made videos thus far, and while I am under the presumption one did not fully "get" what I was trying to do with my video, they contributed to the discussion and have stirred a discussion of their own. In my original video, I ask what can be done? Can anything at all? I attempt to get people stirred with discussion and my hidden goal was/is to cause people to take inventory on their personal attitudes and create change where necessary in themselves. I wanted to cause a world where at least one more person was aware and no longer pemitted themselves to live their life in oblivion to this issue or feel as though is was a lost cause. Since two days ago, I have caused a change in people I have never met in my life. What have you caused lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment